Monday, October 10, 2005

It’s soft, it’s colourful… it’s a baby quilt!


Well, it’s hard to believe that in one week and countless hours, I cut, patched, sewed, and quilted my very first baby blanket. Since I couldn’t find any blankets in the store I liked and they all came with baby bumpers (which are a possible cause of SIDS), I decided to quilt my own.

Originally, I was going to make a star pattern with star material, but I couldn’t find the material. I then came across this baby chenille and minkee blanket kit. It was perfect! The quilt shop where I bought it also allows you to come in on Tuesday afternoons and use all their sewing/quilting equipment. They also provide free help to those (like me) who don’t know what they are doing. If it wasn’t for their help, I know that I would still be sewing away at home. I must say that this project wasn’t as easy as it sounds. I spent many frustrating moments with the seam ripper, taking apart squares and even strips of the blanket that were sewn together in the wrong order. Sometimes, I would seam rip the material apart, and then sew it together incorrectly again. That was the worst!!!

Not only did the blanket take its toll, my back did too. Mike took pity on me and gave me a few back rubs to help me make it through this project. I think I’ll take up another one just so I can get a few more massages :) Mike wanted me to add that our house took its toll as well. There was a lot of scrap material and thread floating around….on the couch, on the floor, on the table, on the sewing machine. Since I was a quilting machine, there were quite a few nights that the dishes didn’t get done too. Oh well, I still have 3 weeks before the in-laws come to visit.
Actually, I do have one more project to complete before that baby comes… I am going to do what many have done before, and many my age refuse to do….cloth diapers. I have 4 dozen to make in less than 10 weeks. I’ll keep you posted on how they are coming. Maybe I will have to start a cloth diaper bee. Actually, that sounds like a good idea.

Until next time,

Tara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home